The best Google Hangouts desktop client.
I enjoy using Google Hangouts on my Window Desktop with Chrome and the extension, but when it comes to my Mac I prefer to use Safari. First of all Chrome has always seem to be a battery and resource hog on OS X. Since you can’t use Chrome extensions with Safari for obvious reasons I always resorted to just having a Gmail tab open with my Hangout conversations, but that was not an elegant solution. So I went looking for another alternative that would provide me access to Hangouts and provide a similar experience as if I was using Hangouts in Chrome. That is when I came across an application called Yakyak, a desktop client for Google Hangouts.
Yakyak is a Hangouts application for OS X that looks nearly identical to the chrome extension, maybe even better, that you can find in the Chrome browser. The best thing about it is that it is browser independent. For the most part it looks and feels very much like the Chrome extension and is easy on the resources. It even has a dark mode for those that prefer it! If you do not want to be bothered with having to deal with Chrome on OS X, or having to have a Gmail tab open in Safari with all your chat windows, then I would take a look at Yakyak.
- Send/receive chat messages
- Create/change conversations (rename, add people)
- Leave/delete conversation
- Notifications (using native OS notifications)
- Toggle notifications on/off
- Drag-drop, copy-paste or attach-button for image upload.
- Hangupsbot sync room aware (no bot name, proper user pics)
- Show inline images
- Send presence/focus/typing/activeclient to behave like a proper client
- History scrollback
- Video/audio integration (open in chrome)
- Focus/typing indications (mainly a design issue. keep it clean)
- Offer alternative color schemes
- Translations in 8 languages so far:
- English / Portuguese / French / Spanish / Czech / German / Polish / Russian / Hebrew
- We’re looking for volunteers to translate the app to new languages
EDIT: It is not only for macOS, but can be installed on either macOS, Linux 32 / 64 and Windows 32 / 64.